Mold and your Health
Mold is ever-present in our world. It contains tiny spores that commonly grow within household dust. When these mold spores become greater in quantity, they pose a health hazard to humans. As a result, humans face serious health hazards such as respiratory issues and allergic reactions.
They may also manifest something called mycotoxins. High exposure to these types of spores can cause serious health concerns such as neurological problems.
Since the spores are toxic to humans, a variety of harmful health problems can develop over time. Some people are more sensitive to the spores than others. Consequently, there is a higher risk for people with any sort of chronic lung illnesses, which will result in more caustic reactions when they are exposed to mold.
Some other troubling health concerns include:
- Nasal and sinus congestion, with a constantly runny nose.
- Eye irritation, including itchy, watery eyes.
- Wheezing, difficulty breathing and chest tightness.
- A lasting cough.
- Sore throat.
- Skin irritation, often a rash.
In most properties, the air conditioner will act as a dehumidifier, removing the moisture from the air. Basements, closed in porches, and crawlspaces need to have moisture removed from it different since air conditioning does not reach these areas in most cases.
Any water damage that occurs in a building needs to be treated quickly. The spores can grow quickly in right conditions. Mold will begin to grow within 24-72 hours once moisture and contaminants are present. As soon as water is found, remove the source of the water. If the roof is leaking, place a tarp over the roof. If a pipe is leaking, change the pipe. After the source is stopped, drying the property can take place. Most of all, it is highly important to have a certified and trained water damage technician be the one to dry it. When moisture spreads, it goes to places that are unseen. A trained technician will know the right method to dry all of the affected areas.