As the tropics are heating up with activity, Hurricane Preparedness is a topic of discussion. People usually remember to be prepared at their home with supplies, however will forget the workplace. Hurricane winds or flood waters from a major storm will harm any property in it’s path.
As a result, pre-planning leads to better protection for the employees, property, and equipment. Follow the steps below to lessen damages to your commercial property.
- Pre written action plan for emergencies– Employers need to have a pre written action plan for employees. This plan can be given to the employees to take action within their space before leaving the office.
- Secure loose items such as scissors, staplers, reams of paper, etc.
- Contain valuables in a safe or locked area.
- Turn off computers and other equipment.
- Remove items from the refrigerator.
- Place customer files into a locked area.
- Assign a group to be the emergency task force.By assigning 2-5 people, depending on the size of your company, you will have a few people that can perform and oversee other precautions are taken before the major storm or hurricane.
- Take a photo inventory of the various offices, assets, and equipment.
- Check there are batteries, flashlights, and other emergency supplies in the office.
- Secure doors and windows in the event of an emergency.
- Remove items from floor, if possible.As storm waters rise, the office may flood. By lifting items such as plants, boxes, and chairs off of the floor, it will alleviate further water damages to those items.
- Send staff home. Their safety is a priority.After the commercial property has been prepared for the severe storm or hurricane, remember your staff will need time to prepare their own properties.
Take the time to plan ahead of the storm, use your staff, and keep emergency supplies on hand. The right preparation leads to very little effort and thirty minutes to an hour of time right before the storm. Not only will this help before the storm, but will get your business back up and running in no time! Be prepared and not scared when a storm is nearby.