Three Steps for Drying Out
There are many causes of water damage to homes and buildings, ranging from heavy rains, leaky roofs, broken pipes, failure hot water heaters, sewage back-ups and more.
The cause of the damage must be considered when drying out a home or building. If it is “fresh” water, such as a broken pipe or leaky roof, the drying process is a little simpler than a sewage back-up.
Small water damages that are concentrated to an area, such as under a kitchen sink, can quickly be cleaned up. Large water damages can take days to clean and dry out, often resulting in pesky odors that then must be dealt with. It’s that pesky odor that tells you not all is well, and more work needs to be done.
Remove, Clean, Dry
Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces quickly means less microbial growth, which can lead to potentially dangerous mold. Some people are highly sensitive to mold spores, while others show no physical reaction at all. Don’t take the chance in learning the hard way how you might react to mold. Prevention is best.
To ensure the safety of your family, there are three basic steps:
- Remove the water/contamination: This means get the affected areas dry, and quickly.
- Clean the area: No matter the water source, a quality disinfectant should be used.
- Dry the area: Air movement is important. Directed air on damp areas aids in the evaporation process.
Remember, water damage can be potentially dangerous even after you think surfaces are dry. If it feels dry, it just might be… but it might not. Professional water damage removal pros have meters and devices to determine when surfaces are totally dry. And they have the products and equipment necessary to do the job right — items you can’t buy at your local grocery or hardware store.
Play it safe. Protect your family. Call your restoration pros at Regency DRT for any type of water damage to your home.
Have you ever walked or drove down a road and came across a sign that declared, “Floodplain Zone!”
If it was near your home, you might have panicked. But if it was somewhere far from your home, you felt safe.
A floodplain can be dangerous because any home in or near one is subject to flooding. If you have a basement, you have more to worry about.
But did you know that even if you live outside a floodplain, there are flooding issues that you must be aware of? Continue reading “Safe or Not Safe?”
DID YOU KNOW that even the healthiest of individuals can still feel negative effects in the presence of some common things around the house?
It’s not something that necessarily has to start growing in the basement of your house after a flood. It’s something that can “just happen” and it’s not good news. But it can be easily fixed.
First of all, what are we talking about? Continue reading “Sensitive to Mold and Other Allergens?”
When a fire, flood, water leak, mold growth or other issue that makes your home either inhabitable or just an inconvenience to deal with, you must decide “Will I clean this up myself, or hire a pro?”
While some small, minor “disasters” can be tackled by a do-it-yourselfer, most restoration projects are best left to the pros.
DID YOU KNOW that mold can develop in your home and all it takes are three common things?
1. Moisture: Mold needs moisture to grow, which is why you see it all the time in showers and baths… and, unfortunately, in basements. You can clean up the mold in a shower or bath, but when you see it in other parts of the home, it’s best to call a pro.
2. Food: Mold is alive, and needs to eat. So usually you won’t see mold growing on plastic surfaces in your home. It will grow on wood and other organic surfaces. However, dirt in the carpet or on the floor can be a food source, so keeping your house super clean is smart.
3. Darkness: Mold likes the shadows of your home, and grows quickly in the dark. That’s why basements are often the first place mold is discovered.
Do-it yourself mold removal?
If you are going to clean up some mold in your house, it’s important to protect yourself. A mold removal specialist knows the dangers of mold, and if you hire a pro, you will see him all suited up and protected against possible contamination. Continue reading “Hiding in the Shadows”
It’s a terrible sinking feeling (pun intended) you get when you drop your iPhone, iPad or Android — or other expensive hand-held electronic device — into water, such as a sink, bathtub or (gross) toilet.
When that happens, you respond quickly. You dip your hand into the offending reservoir, grab the device and shake it vigorously, hoping against all odds that you can force all moisture out before permanent damage occurs.
You may even dunk your device into a bag of rice, hoping that online tip you read about rice pulling moisture from electronic devices is true. You may submit it mercilessly to the business end of a hairdryer until it is too hot to hold.
What’s the best thing to do when electronic devices suffer from water damage? Continue reading “Water Damaged Electronics”
DID YOU KNOW that water is the most essential element of life? That’s right. We all need water. We need it to bathe, to drink, to water plants and the grass, and even to enjoy recreationally, such as in a swimming pool.
But are there times when you may wish water was scarce? Yes, such as when some water ends up where it shouldn’t be, like on your valuable wood floor.
When that happens, you must clean it up quickly. If you don’t, permanent damage can occur. Continue reading “Water, Water Everywhere!”
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recognizes how water damage situations (such as from a flood, leaky or broken pipe, sewage backup, etc) can be potentially hazardous… not just initially, but over time as well.
Why? Because of the potential of mold and how it affects human health. Exposure to damp and moldy environments and materials can be especially harmful to those sensitive to irritants common to mold contamination. Some find that even being outside near plant life in the process of decomposition is a problem. Mold and mildew can run rampant under certain conditions, causing allergic reactions.
So when a water damage does happen in your home, don’t take chances. Mold needs moisture. It needs to be fed. It will grow on organic materials that are wet. If you take away its “food” you inhibit the ability of mold to grow.
Remember that mold will grow in places with a lot of moisture, anywhere there is a leak. This can be around windows, behind walls where water has intruded, from leaky roofs, and especially from leaky pipes – especially those that are leaking and you didn’t know about it!
Many homeowners are tempted to clean up water that comes into their home, such as when a sump pump might fail or when a toilet might overflow. Good intentions for sure. But if you don’t get it really dry, really fast, there can be problems.
Here’s a scary thought: Some professional water damage experts won’t even do a water removal job if they can’t get to it within 24 hours. They know mold could have started to grow and that means more work than simply extracting water and drying the home could be required.
You don’t want all that headache. When any water intrudes into your home, remember it’s more than water. It’s breeding ground for mold. Do what’s best. Call your water damage pro!