THINK INSIDE THE BOX: Freedom Within a Framework

THINK INSIDE THE BOX: Freedom Within a Framework

A lot of people talk about thinking outside the box. I want you to think inside the box.

Imagine two boxes, one quite large and the other rather small. The small box is inside the big box. In the large box is everything that you are capable of doing. Inside the small box are the few things you can do that you believe will have the greatest positive impact on improving your most important desired business outcome.

STAY INSIDE THE SMALL BOX

Too often, in my opinion, people allow themselves to be pulled into all kinds of activities because they are able to do them. Weeks, months, and even years fly by while these people are busy doing all sorts of different things that they are able to do. They go home quite exhausted at the end of each day knowing that they worked hard. The problem is they haven’t penetrated the desired results to anywhere near the degree that they could have. They essentially tried to please people in different departments and different customers and different prospective customers and different volunteer groups. They kept moving all around in the big box. Continue reading “THINK INSIDE THE BOX: Freedom Within a Framework”

Frequently Asked Questions About Mold And Mold Cleanup

 

Mold, every home owner’s worst nightmare. Not only does it look unsightly, but a mold infestation can be detrimental to your family’s health. In this FAQ we will answer common questions about how it grows, who it affects, and how to get rid of it.

So.. What Is Mold Exactly?

Typically seen mold is a form of multi-celled fungus which is constantly present in the atmosphere in the form of fungus spores. These spores can make themselves at home with you, so long as they have a cozy environment such as a moist, generally undisturbed area. Additionally, they require a food source such as paper, wood, fabric fibers, dead skin cells, and more.

That Sounds Kinda Gross! What Impact Does It Have On Your Health?

Touching or inhaling the mold can affect anyone in the household. However, some people are more sensitive to the mold spores than others. Infants and the elderly, people with allergies, suppressed immune systems, and those suffering from asthma feel more effect from the mold spores. Typically they will experience inflammation of the sinuses, sneezing, runny nose, cough, congestion, itchy eyes, and skin rashes.

Yikes! Isn’t Mold More Of A Warm Weather Problem?

While it’s true that mold thrives in warm and moist environments, many onsets of mold occur in the home due to winter conditions. During the winter months, homes are less ventilated and water vapor will condense on cold surfaces such as windows and walls.

What Can I Do To Prevent Mold From Growing In My Home?

The best way to help prevent the growth of mold in your home is to minimize humidity inside the home. Spilled liquids should be cleaned up promptly, and damp clothing which cannot be laundered right away should be hung outside to dry. Ensure that your A/C drip pans are empty and the filters cleaned. Open windows to encourage ventilation in rooms such as the bathroom and kitchen. Also, be sure your appliances such as your dryer are properly vented outdoors.

I Think I Already Have Mold In My Home… What Can I Do?

The first thing to do is begin eliminating the sources of moisture in your home. If possible, open windows and doors while running fans to dry out the moldy area. When cleaning, never touch mold with your bare hands, always wear rubber gloves and a face mask.

If the mold damage is too extensive, you should seek out the help of a professional. They can inspect the property and give you an accurate estimation of what the cleanup will cost and how extensive it should be. If you would like to know more, feel free to visit our website.

Abandoned Detroit: Dealing With Property Vandalism

Detroit has been in the news a lot recently. Though the city was once a booming metropolis and the center of car manufacturing in America, in recent decades it has fallen on hard times. As car companies have shut their doors and as residents leave seeking new employment opportunities, certain areas of the city have fallen into decay.

There are now tens of thousands of empty homes, and entire neighborhoods that were once busy and thriving are now empty. Those who have stayed behind are left to face neighborhoods full of dilapidated buildings. As unemployment has skyrocketed, so too have crimes—particularly vandalism and arson.

Vandalism Recovery

Though vandals will often target abandoned properties, sometimes they turn their destructive tendencies towards occupied homes and offices.

The effects of vandalism can be wide-reaching—costing the property owner thousands of dollars and creating fear of future incidents. If your property has been affected by vandalism, follow these steps: Continue reading “Abandoned Detroit: Dealing With Property Vandalism”

Fire Damage Restoration Tips

Fire damage is devastating to a home and its occupants. Once the flames are out, there will be a lot of things you’ll need to do as the homeowner to minimize the damage to your personal belongings and start the restoration process.  Here are a few tips to help you get started getting your home back in order.

You should not enter the property until the fire department confirms that the fire is out and it is safe to go inside.  Embers can smolder for days and rekindle if not properly extinguished. When it is safe to return, grab any important documents such as birth certificates, insurance papers and mortgage information.   Be sure to take any medications you will need and any valuables you can carry. Anything in a fireproof safe will probably be fine.

The next step is to call a certified fire restoration company, such as our company, for clean up and restorative services. There will be lingering smoke and soot on everything and you may want to stay in a hotel for the duration of the cleanup.  You will most likely not be allowed inside during the restoration process due to the environmental safety risks associated with smoke inhalation and chemical exposure. The cleanup crew will be wearing protective clothing and masks to protect them while they are working.

Important Tips:

  • Do not use any electrical appliances
  • Do not turn on any lights, use a flashlight [electrical wiring could be damaged]
  • Do not attempt to clean anything
  • Do not turn on your furnace or heat source
  • Open windows for ventilation to get smoke out of the house
  • Remove animals from the house [they are affected by smoke inhalation also]
  • Limit the number of people going in and out of the home to avoid tracking soot
  • Call a plumber or HVAC Technician to turn off the gas and drain the water heater.

Contact Regency Disaster Response Team immediately if you have been the victim of fire damage.  Our staff is available 24/7 to respond to emergencies. We know that time is very important and will there within minutes of your call securing everything for your safety and to contain the mess.

The Effects of Mold on your Health and Property

Mold and your Health

Mold is ever-present in our world. It contains tiny spores that commonly grow within household dust. When these mold spores become greater in quantity, they pose a health hazard to humans. As a result, humans face serious health hazards such as respiratory issues and allergic reactions.

They may also manifest something called mycotoxins.  High exposure to these types of spores can cause serious health concerns such as neurological problems.

Since the spores are toxic to humans, a variety of harmful health problems can develop over time. Some people are more sensitive to the spores than others. Consequently, there is a higher risk for people with any sort of chronic lung illnesses, which will result in more caustic reactions when they are exposed to mold.

Some other troubling health concerns include:

  • Nasal and sinus congestion, with a constantly runny nose.
  • Eye irritation, including itchy, watery eyes.
  • Wheezing, difficulty breathing and chest tightness.
  • A lasting cough.
  • Sore throat.
  • Skin irritation, often a rash.
  • Headaches.
  • Sneezing.

In most properties, the air conditioner will act as a dehumidifier, removing the moisture from the air. Basements, closed in porches, and crawlspaces need to have moisture removed from it different since air conditioning does not reach these areas in most cases.

Mold Prevention

Any water damage that occurs in a building needs to be treated quickly. The spores can grow quickly in right conditions.  Mold will begin to grow within 24-72 hours once moisture and contaminants are present. As soon as water is found, remove the source of the water. If the roof is leaking, place a tarp over the roof. If a pipe is leaking, change the pipe. After the source is stopped, drying the property can take place. Most of all, it is highly important to have a certified and trained water damage technician be the one to dry it. When moisture spreads, it goes to places that are unseen. A trained technician will know the right method to dry all of the affected areas.