2019 Hurricane Outlook

A graphic showing hurricane season probability and numbers of named storms.

As of May 23, the NOAA is predicting a “near-normal” Atlantic hurricane season this year, with a total of 9-15 named storms and 2-4 major hurricanes. A storm is named once it reaches sustained speeds of 39 -73 mph. Their outlook forecasts a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season, and a 30% chance of a below-normal season. The official findings below are provided by the NOAA with a 70% confidence.


(Image: NOAA)

This prediction is developed as a reflection of competing climate factors, such as the ongoing El Niño: which is expected to persist and suppress the intensity of any storms this hurricane season. Climate patterns that are expected to counter the effects of El Niño are the expected warmer-than-average sea-surface temperatures in the Atlantic and an enhanced African Monsoon. Both climate patterns favor increased hurricane activity.

In a report issued by CSU on June 4, researchers stated a slight increase in their forecast from early April. They estimate that “2019 will have about 6 hurricanes (average is 6.4), 14 named storms (average is 12.1), 55 named storm days (average is 59.4), 20 hurricane days (average is 24.2), 2 major (Category 3,4, or 5) hurricanes (average is 2.7) and 5 major hurricane days (average is 6.2). These numbers also include Subtropical Strom Andrea, which formed in May.

A graphic showing 2019 Atlantic tropical cyclone names selected by the World Meteorological Organization.

(Image: NOAA)

Keep in mind that it is impossible to predict hurricane activity with 100% accuracy. No matter what is predicted, you should always properly prepare for hurricane season. Having a plan that everyone in your family knows is the best way to prepare and stay safe during hurricane season. Ready.gov has an easy-to-follow guide to help you set up an emergency plan, as well as a list of supplies you should have in an emergency kit. FEMA recommends having these supplies in your kit:

  • Flashlight and extra batteries
  • Portable, battery-operated weather radio and extra batteries
  • First aid kit and manual
  • Emergency food and water
  • Nonelectric can opener
  • Essential medicines
  • Cash and credit cards
  • Sturdy shoes

If you have any pets, make sure you have an emergency plan for them as well. You should include current vaccination records, a week’s worth of food, water, leash, and photos in your emergency kit in case the pet is lost during the storm. Make sure they have a current identification tag on their color with your phone number and, if possible, an out-of-state contact’s phone number.

If possible, having a good insurance plan is the easiest way protect you home and belongings in the event of a catastrophe. In the case of flood insurance, there is generally a 30-day waiting period, so check into it early. Ready.gov recommends these tips for making your home hurricane ready:

  • Trim or remove damaged trees and limbs to keep them from damaging your house
  • Secure loose gutters and clear any debris/clogged areas to prevent any water damage
  • Retrofit the property to secure and reinforce the roof, windows, doors, and garage doors
  • Purchase a portable generator or install a generator for use during power outages and make sure to keep it at least 20 feet away from the house and protected from moisture

A picture containing text Description automatically generated

About Regency DRT/DKI

Regency DRT/DKI is a nation-wide leader in emergency services and property restoration services with 7 offices in Florida and Michigan, including West Palm Beach, Orlando, Sunrise, Port St Lucie, Panama City, Fort Walton/Pensacola and Detroit. Regency DRT/DKI was founded on the belief that a restoration company should provide exceptional quality of services to their customers while maintaining the industry’s highest standards.

Regency DRT/DKI offers 24 Hour Emergency Response and has extensive experience in working with insurance companies and claims adjusters on property insurance claims, coordinating everything from initial response until the property is restored to pre-loss conditions. With our extensive training and knowledge of restoration services, we are able to quickly respond with the necessary amount of equipment, resources and staff for the unique needs of the job, whether it’s a single residential loss, large loss or area-wide disaster.

Regency DRT/DKI is also a proud Member of Disaster KleenUp International (DKI), North America’s largest disaster restoration contracting organization. Being a DKI member also provides us with nationwide affiliates and partners to provide nationwide coverage to our clients. Call us at 1 (888) 354-2447 or visit our website at Regencydrt.com.