Mold is a disgusting, fast-growing villain that can spread within just 48 hours of water damage. In walls, under sheetrock, in cupboards, on ceilings, and all sorts of other places, mold can be found just about anywhere if it is in the right conditions. However, you might not know what these conditions are, how to recognize mold, or what to do about it if you find it. Below, we have compiled a simple mold crash course to keep you informed and at the ready in case of mold damage in your home.
THE PERFECT ENVIRONMENT
Have you ever noticed something white or blue and fuzzy growing on a loaf of bread? This is because the inside of a bread bag is the perfect breeding ground for mold. Mold needs organic matter, moisture, warmth, and oxygen to grow and spread. This is why mold thrives off of water damage affecting your home.
HOW TO SPOT MOLD
Mold can appear white, blue, black, or even not visible at all! It can appear as fuzzy blobs growing on the surface of your home like the mold found on bread, or it can look like a black, patchy discoloration in your walls. If the mold is growing due to water damage, there is also a high chance that you will find discolored and strange-textured walls, cracking or bubbling paint, warping, etc. However, mold can also be airborne and thus undetectable save the cold-like symptoms it can cause upon inhalation.
Because it can often be virtually invisible to the naked eye, it is important to be able to predict the highest-risk areas in your home. Does your basement seem to have a new sort of funk? Does it have a strong, musty odor? If so, you probably have mold growing there. A basement is a common place for mold growth because it is often the most water-damaged part of the home, and the conditions are often just right. Mold can also grow in bathrooms, behind walls under leaky pipes, or anywhere you might find water damage.
THE SCARY TRUTH
Mold may seem like not much more than a cosmetic problem, however, if left undetected and unmanaged, mold growth can pose a serious health threat to everyone that enters your home. Especially for those with allergies, respiratory issues, or compromised immune systems, mold spores can cause serious respiratory malfunctions and can even land more sensitive cases in the hospital. It is best to handle mold growth before it grows too late.
If you find mold in your home, or think you might have mold growing but can’t find it, you can call your local restoration service. If you live in the Martin area, you can call Regency DRT any time of day or night for fast, emergency response. When they get there, they will conduct a complete evaluation of the home and remove any mold found, and can even take care of problem areas to prevent further mold growth in the future. Companies like Regency DRT are experienced experts in mold removal and will ensure that your home is safe and mold-free without hassle.