Fire Damage Restoration Tips

Fire damage is devastating to a home and its occupants. Once the flames are out, there will be a lot of things you’ll need to do as the homeowner to minimize the damage to your personal belongings and start the restoration process.  Here are a few tips to help you get started getting your home back in order.

You should not enter the property until the fire department confirms that the fire is out and it is safe to go inside.  Embers can smolder for days and rekindle if not properly extinguished. When it is safe to return, grab any important documents such as birth certificates, insurance papers and mortgage information.   Be sure to take any medications you will need and any valuables you can carry. Anything in a fireproof safe will probably be fine.

The next step is to call a certified fire restoration company, such as our company, for clean up and restorative services. There will be lingering smoke and soot on everything and you may want to stay in a hotel for the duration of the cleanup.  You will most likely not be allowed inside during the restoration process due to the environmental safety risks associated with smoke inhalation and chemical exposure. The cleanup crew will be wearing protective clothing and masks to protect them while they are working.

Important Tips:

  • Do not use any electrical appliances
  • Do not turn on any lights, use a flashlight [electrical wiring could be damaged]
  • Do not attempt to clean anything
  • Do not turn on your furnace or heat source
  • Open windows for ventilation to get smoke out of the house
  • Remove animals from the house [they are affected by smoke inhalation also]
  • Limit the number of people going in and out of the home to avoid tracking soot
  • Call a plumber or HVAC Technician to turn off the gas and drain the water heater.

Contact  Disaster Response Team immediately if you have been the victim of fire damage.  Our staff is available 24/7 to respond to emergencies. We know that time is very important and will there within minutes of your call securing everything for your safety and to contain the mess.

Frequently Asked Questions About Mold And Mold Cleanup

Mold, every home owner’s worst nightmare. Not only does it look unsightly, but a mold infestation can be detrimental to your family’s health. In this FAQ we will answer common questions about how it grows, who it affects, and how to get rid of it.

So.. What Is Mold Exactly?

Typically seen mold is a form of multi-celled fungus which is constantly present in the atmosphere in the form of fungus spores. These spores can make themselves at home with you, so long as they have a cozy environment such as a moist, generally undisturbed area. Additionally, they require a food source such as paper, wood, fabric fibers, dead skin cells, and more.

That Sounds Kinda Gross! What Impact Does It Have On Your Health?

Touching or inhaling the mold can affect anyone in the household. However, some people are more sensitive to the mold spores than others. Infants and the elderly, people with allergies, suppressed immune systems, and those suffering from asthma feel more effect from the mold spores. Typically they will experience inflammation of the sinuses, sneezing, runny nose, cough, congestion, itchy eyes, and skin rashes.

Yikes! Isn’t Mold More Of A Warm Weather Problem?

While it’s true that mold thrives in warm and moist environments, many onsets of mold occur in the home due to winter conditions. During the winter months, homes are less ventilated and water vapor will condense on cold surfaces such as windows and walls.

What Can I Do To Prevent Mold From Growing In My Home?

The best way to help prevent the growth of mold in your home is to minimize humidity inside the home. Spilled liquids should be cleaned up promptly, and damp clothing which cannot be laundered right away should be hung outside to dry. Ensure that your A/C drip pans are empty and the filters cleaned. Open windows to encourage ventilation in rooms such as the bathroom and kitchen. Also, be sure your appliances such as your dryer are properly vented outdoors.

I Think I Already Have Mold In My Home… What Can I Do?

The first thing to do is begin eliminating the sources of moisture in your home. If possible, open windows and doors while running fans to dry out the moldy area. When cleaning, never touch mold with your bare hands, always wear rubber gloves and a face mask.

If the mold damage is too extensive, you should seek out the help of a professional. They can inspect the property and give you an accurate estimation of what the cleanup will cost and how extensive it should be. If you would like to know more, feel free to visit our website.

Why You Must Act Quickly to Clean the Devastation Caused by Wind Damage

When a storm or other serious weather conditions cause wind damage, it is imperative to contact Disaster Response Team immediately. This is especially true if heavy winds damaged the roof or walls of your property and left it further exposed to the elements. Your home or business is even at risk if only your windows were broken.

As soon as we arrive on the scene, we evaluate the damages and come up with a plan to ensure that you and your family or employees are safe. Next, we procure the equipment we need to start cleaning up right away. This may involve temporarily boarding up part of your home or business until you can get it permanently fixed. We may also use a tarp if the situation calls for it.

Ensuring Safety Inside the Property

Due to the recent storm, the high winds may have blown rainwater, dirt, miscellaneous debris, and several allergens into your home. If you or a family member suddenly has difficulty breathing, this is the most likely cause. Our disaster response experts use humidification and total structure drying to remove allergy triggers from your indoor environment. We also use thermal imaging and diagnostics to see if there are additional problems that we also need to address.

Another common problem caused by wind damage is that it allows moisture to settle permanently into the foundation of your property. This leaves you extremely vulnerable to mold. Our team searches for any evidence of mold and removes it before it becomes a permanent health hazard.

Always Available

Disaster Response Team understands that natural disasters can happen at any time and often come on with little warning. While we can’t control the weather, we can get your life back to normal as soon as possible. Our crew is prepared to respond to a call for emergency clean-up 24 hours a day, seven days a week.